Tuesday, October 15, 2013

DIY framed Vinyl

I'm working on a big project to get some awesome spiritual thoughts on my wall and I really needed some cute fillers. Cue the framed vinyl project! This is ridiculously easy, personal and versatile. I can't wait to get mine on the wall.  Please note this project is 100% easier if you or a close friend own a Cricut/Silhouette type of machine or if you have all the money in the would to buy vinyl.

What you need: Picture frames (Cheap or expensive does not matter they just need glass in them! I bought mine for $1 at walmart) Vinyl in any color you choose, scrapbook paper also in whatever color you want, and a paper cutter or sizzers. 

Step 1: choose what you want to cut out. You can do anything! Hearts, stars, initials, wedding date, birth date, child's name, etc! I choose a framed heart and the letter J since we're the Johnson family and we love each other most of the time. haha I always cut whatever I'm using on paper first before I go to vinyl. Vinyl is expensive and you don't want to waste your supply if you can help it. I also choose my scrapbook paper to make sure it would look good as a background.  

Step 2: Cut your vinyl. If you are using a Cricut I can tell you to put your needle on setting 3, speed level 1 and pressure 2 or 3 depending on the thickness of your vinyl. Mine was a 2 but my needle is also brand new. Once your Cricut is done working, pull off extra vinyl that you won't be applying to frame.
Step 3: Place your vinyl on the glass in your desired location.  For this project I didn't use transfer paper since I was just pulling the vinyl up and laying it down. Do what you choose, but just know transfer paper isn't 100% necessary, though it is helpful. 





 Step 4: Cut your scrapbook paper to the size needed. My frames were 5 x 7's so I simply cut my paper to that size. Once the paper is cut you just slide it into the frame, no glue, no mess just stick it inside. Because there is no gluing involved you can change the background paper seasonally so your decor matching whatever time of year it may be. Mine has a fall look to it but it also matches my home so double awesomeness! Good luck and happy crafting!



Here is my final work on the wall! Be sure to check out how to make the framed vases! 

No comments:

Post a Comment